Sunday, May 26, 2013

The Hangover (Todd Phillips, 2009) Review

Yup, It's time for another trilogy (because every god damn film has a sequel now). I saw The Hangover Part III yesterday so I thought it was high time that I review the trilogy that seems to be so popular. I'm sure there are good reasons for the film's popularity so it's time to dive into The Hangover.....this'll be fun!

Doug Billings (Justin Bartha) is getting married and to celebrate, he invites his friends Phil (Bradley Cooper), Stu (Ed Helms) and his future brother in law Alan (Zach Galifianakis) to a bachelor party in Las Vegas. The only problem is that when they wake up the next morning, things were not as they remember. There is a tiger in the bathroom, Stu has lost a tooth, they have a baby with them and Doug is missing, among other things. Now Phil, Alan and Stu must learn what events took place last night and must find Doug so they can get back to the wedding on time.

This is a funny film, there's no denying that. The writing is pretty well done which is helped by some good acting for some great characters. There isn't a character that I hated (except the one I was supposed to hate). Everyone knows about Alan and I would be lying if I said I didn't like him. Zach Galifianakis is the standout performance of this film. The majority of the humor is risque but if you can take it, then you will find some of it hilarious.  

This film is mostly a comedy so if you don't like all sorts of risque humour then I wouldn't recommend this to you. It's not the most accessible film but he target audience is huge so my general area of readers (I'm guessing) will probably not be too horrified by this film. It's a good romp if you just want a random film to stick on. 

The Hangover is just a silly good time. If you want a film that you can watch with friends after a night out ad want to kick back and relax, then go ahead and stick this film on. If you don't like too much swearing or risque humour, then you may want to avoid this...and the other two in the trilogy as well. It's still got some excellent things such as writing and acting but it's not the most diverse film out there...

Verdict:
7/10
With some great writing and acting, this film offers some good laughs with friends. 

No comments:

Post a Comment