Monday, April 8, 2013

We Bought a Zoo (Cameron Crowe, 2011) Review

What do you mean that Matt Damon is an action star? This...this is not an action film, not that I wazs expecting it to be, but I guess he's allowed to play against type every now and then (why was he even in Happy Feet Two?) Aw well, let's take a look at a true story film...that might as well be it's own genre (it probably is) and yes I realise I'm padding because I can't think of an intro. It's Matt Damon in a family film. Let's take a look!

Benjamin Mee (Matt Damon) is a father of two who has recently lost his wife. He wishes to start a new life elsewhere and does so by buying a new house for his family...a house which comes with a zoo. Yeah. Benjamin gets to know the staff there including Kelly Foster (Scarlett Johansson) who basically runs the zoo for him. His brother, Duncan (Thomas Haden Church), despises his decision and tries everything to get him to sell the zoo and move on. To make matters worse, the zoo has to prepare for an inspection from Walter Ferris (John Michael Higgins). 

Going into this film, I thought it would be just another stupid family film. I was wrong. This is definetly a feel good film which is refreshing because all films have to be gritty in order to be good apparently. Not always, and this is a reminder of that. The actors do a good job of making likeable characters (with the exception of one...okay maybe two) and you become invested in what happens. It's what you would come to expect from a family film with Sandman and Black Widow...errr...interesting casting (they get the job done so I can't really complain).

Any flaws? I guess the most I can do is nitpick. There aren't any glaring problems with the film. All I can say is that...it's good. It's nothing ground breaking or game changing but it's a nice film that is a perfect family film.   This is a heart warming film that is definitely a feel good film. It's even a suspenseful film because I had no idea where this film was going! That's even more weird because it's based on a true story. That's great writing!

We Bought a Zoo was a nice surprise that I didn't see coming. I thought it would be a stupid kid film but it surpassed my expectations. The cast do a good job of making likeable characters that you might even be able to relate to...probably because they were based on real people. If you're up for a feel good film then this is definitely one you should check out.

Verdict:
7/10
A feel good film that does a pretty good job  making likeable characters accompanied by great writing. There isn't anything that is truly amazing though.

No comments:

Post a Comment